Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Re: Dave Ross Macdonald *#* "Knuckle Brass & Bone"


On Jun 20, 2006, at 10:52 PM, David Ross Macdonald wrote:

Hi Bob
Dave Ross Mac here with a followup howdy to those I posted my the latest release "Knuckled Brass and Bone" to. I trust it arrived OK.
US radio response has been very satisfying with over a 100 additions & 40 stations inviting me in to do 'instudio' performances this Fall which is just fine by me.
Anyways, if you feel this release is good for review then I thank you for time in advance and I will be in touch with my US Fall tour details once the tour is all lined up.

All the best and thanks for your time

Dave
-----------------------------------------------------------

David,

Good to hear from you. Hope all is well in your world. I was just thinking about you after listening to your album over the weekend -- my wife and I took a road trip to see my son graduate from college in Santa Cruz and I brought it along. I'd been listening to the record off and on since it came by mail, it's another fine piece of work displaying your talent for songwriting. I was especially glad to see that you included your version of "Waltzing Matilda," which, as you may or may not recall, we discussed briefly when you played it at The Red Radish last time you were in town. It's a song we learned in school as emblematic of Australia and Aussie speak -- with much annotation regarding unknown terms like billabong and tucker bag -- but I had not recognized the social/political side of the story until I heard you sing it as a lament.

On the way home from our trip we had some car trouble, ended up having to stay the night with my old friend Gregg McVicar, who just happens to be a longtime public radio programmer. He currently does a 5-hour-a-day feed called UnderCurrents (<http://www.airos.org/undercurrents/>) that's sent out to a few dozen radio stations across the U.S. - most of them on Indian reservations (via Airos Radio). We had a little ripping session with the CDs I happened to have in the car. He loved yours and will be adding it in rotation. He was particularly taken with "Waltzing Matilda."

One of the reasons I'm sharing all this is because of something that happened when we were in ripping mode. We put your new CD in his computer and it searched Gracenote for track info -- found none. I don't know if this is something you personally would handle, or if it had to do with the fact that the CD you sent was a promo, at any rate, Gregg typed in the track info, then showed me how to upload it, which means anyone else who puts your CD in their computer will get the same info (he uploaded via iTunes I believe). Sounds all well and good, right? Here's the rub: I just slipped my copy of the disc into my computer and viola, the track info came through from Gracenote just as planned -- and just as typed, including a typo -- Gregg inadvertently misspelled Waltzing as Waltzine. Whoops. Don't know if it's something that can be undone. So, be prepared for notes from those who think an Aussie doesn't know the proper spelling of his homeland's most famous song. Feel free to blame it on me. Sorry.

On another note, I see The Waifs are coming back to Arcata for a show at the Van Duzer on August 28. It'll be good to see y'all again. I hope you are coming back this way for the fall solo tour too. Keep in touch...

'til then -- Bob

No comments: